Friday, September 11, 2009

BIRDS AND BEES?!?!

So as I was fixing Madelyn's hair for school today and she casually asked me how I got the baby in my belly in the first place. That's a very reasonable question that sent me into complete shock. I knew this day would come, I've talked to other moms about it, I've had a general statement and idea of the conversation in my head but I realized this morning that I am SO not ready to have that conversation with her! I need advice from other moms:
  • What age was your child when they started getting curious about these things?

  • What did you say? I have some ideas but need advice!

I couldn't just dismiss her question completely so I told her that daddy helped me make baby Micah. Sounds good, right? She said "He did?! Is he a doctor?"


I love their sweet innocence. I lamely responded "No, honey. Mommy and daddy love each other very much and wanted to make a baby. He helped mommy make you and Marek, too." It seemed to satisfy her curiousity for now. I just didn't have enough time for "THAT" talk this morning. Besides, she had "twins day" at school (pick a friend and dress the same) and I didn't want her telling her friend all about it, either! That's all I need is to have some angry mother calling me about that the third week of Kindergarten.

Anyway - here are a few pics of Madelyn and her "twin" from this mornings drop-off:



2 comments:

pam said...

Our Maddi is very curious too and after hearing me tell others about how I got off the pill and then I was pregnant she brought it up to me and said she knows I'm having a baby because I stopped taking my medicine. She's 8, but I only told her about how mommy's have eggs and sometimes those eggs turn into babies. Not ready to introduce the rest of the story just yet. I'm thinking when she's 9 or 10 I'll fill her in on how that egg becomes a baby. I, like you, am afraid if she knows too much she'll be telling the other kids about the birds and the bees and I think other kids need to hear it from their own parents. Hopefully she's not too old and doesn't learn all about it from another kid herself. She has lately become more interested in how the baby is coming out rather than how it happened. Good luck with it all!

Oleys said...

Thank you for the advice, Pam! Like you, I'm also ultra afraid of her hearing something at school and believing it to be real. I need to make sure the lines of communication are open. I just wasn't prepared for that talk this morning - there was certainly not enough time to tell her what needed to be told.

I will keep praying - I know that will help, too!